Saturday, October 23, 2010

Happy 1 Week Birthday!

Happy One Week Birthday 
West, Lilibeth and Jack!

Oh, my!  So much has happened in one short week's time.  This morning I am up early, so grateful for all of the ways that God has provided for us and carried us through the past week. Unlike last Friday night, Klint and I slept very well last night!  This time last week around 5:30 a.m., we were checking into Labor and Delivery.  At that point, I was sure that I would either be sent back home or admitted until the babies' birth.  The discomfort that prevented me from sleeping last Friday night turned out not to be Lilibeth in my ribs (although maybe she was!), but contractions combined with HELLP syndrome.  HELLP syndrome was the reason for the emergency c-section since it affected my liver and platelet count.  

West Irby and Lilibeth were born at 12:13 p.m. last Saturday, October 16th, followed by Jack Alexander at 12:14 p.m.  I was so thankful to be able to hear each of their first cries.  I felt so good about that, but was even more thrilled that they were doing well enough to be brought back to me in the OR after a quick evaluation.  There is really nothing in the world like the feeling of having all three of my sweet, healthy babies being put on my chest just minutes after their birth.  I had prepared myself for them being immediately whisked away to the NICU and I was so thrilled and thankful to be able to meet them just after their birth.  (Klint was a great Daddy and camera man throughout the birth.  He got a great video of the four of as us they were brought back to me.  Do any of you smart folks know how to turn part of that video into a still shot?)


The stats:


West Irby ~ 3 lbs., 13 oz., 15 3/4 inches long, born at 12:13 p.m.


Lilibeth ~ 4 lbs., 1 oz., 16 1/4 inches long, born at 12:13 p.m.


Jack Alexander ~ 4 lbs., 8 oz., 17 3/4 inches long, born at 12:14 p.m.


We were so thankful that our families were able to be here to get a quick look at the babies as they were rolled down the hall to the NICU.  Unfortunately, that will be the last "real life" look that many will get until we bring them home.  The NICU (for many good reasons) is extremely restrictive about who may visit.  They will only allow six of us on the list, and that list cannot change throughout their stay.


These babies are the most beautiful little people Klint and I have ever seen!  They are each very unique.  Yesterday was a big milestone... everyone had their IV removed.  Klint and I were so happy!  The NICU nurses (who are great) told us that IV's in preemies sometimes must be changed multiple times within a 24 hour period. Seeing them stuck in several places throughout the day was very hard.  For Jack and Lilibeth, their IV's were replaced with a feeding tube that goes through their nose.  They are first given the option to eat from the bottle, but if they cannot finish their meal in the allotted time, the remainder must be fed through the tube.  I did not understand the "time factor," but it was explained to us that if the baby has to burn more calories than they are consuming in an effort to eat, then the tube must be used.  West continues to be able to keep up with his feedings, so he is tube-free at this point.  The neonatologist assures us that they will all have a tube at some point.  They are all gaining back some of the weight they lost after birth.  I will have an update soon on weights.  


I am currently in a hotel near the hospital so that I can be in the NICU, but also rest as much as possible.  This allows me to be with Lilibeth, West and Jack throughout the day, without completely tiring out either the babies, or myself.  


We are so grateful for your prayers.  I know that many of you were lifting us up in prayer throughout the delivery and that you continue to do so.  What a gift!  God has again, given us more this week than we could ask or imagine.  I am including some pictures from our first week below.  I currently have about 200 pictures and 200 favorites, so what to include will be a difficult choice!  I am also including a link to a Kodak Gallery I created a few days ago.  


http://www.kodakgallery.com/gallery/sharing/shareRedirectSwitchBoard.jsp?token=444955537506%3A335215335&sourceId=533754321803&cm_mmc=eMail-_-Share-_-Photos-_-Sharee


Lilibeth on her way to the NICU ~ October 16, 2010





West and Jack on their way to the NICU ~ October 16, 2010


West cannot stop stretching.  It's a good thing to have your own space!

When Jack is not moving his arms and legs all over his "condo" (incubator), he is thinking deeply.


Little Lilibeth loves a paci!


We love, love, love these sweet babies!


post signature

No comments: