Saturday, July 16, 2011

9 months today.... I've earned my wings!

So... here's how it all began... I was sitting in a waiting room this week reading through a Parents magazine.  Maybe People or Self or even O Magazine would have been a healthier, more well-rounded choice.  But, nine months in and I'm a little wrapped up in my new gig.  I get to the back, to those silly little editorials on the last page that I sometimes wish I had written, and it is entitled "Helicopter Parents".  I think... "fun stuff... I love to hammer on that type."  Except as I read on, I realize that I AM that type.  What has happened?  I think, I should tear this right out to show my sister, except that I know when I do, she will have more material to work with.  So I just decide to begin to work on it... this is not who I want to be.  I do not want to be a worrier, a Debbie Downer, a planner of what to do in a "worst case scenario."

I think about this for a few days... one Friday afternoon, I tried to take a small step back from the helicopter.  We've had  some visitors over when the babies have been in the pool.  People may think that I'm rude when I don't carry on much of a conversation when the babies are swimming.  Multi-tasking is not for me when my babies are in the water.  At one point I said to someone, "I will never have the babies in the water when I am by myself."  I got the "you're a crazy lady" look.  And I thought, "That's OK, you don't understand, you do not have three babies all at the same time."

Back to that Friday afternoon... I thought that I could handle all the babies in the pool by myself.  (Do not worry... this ends well).  I put a towel right beside the pool so that I could put the babies in directly from the towel.  I usually use a swim diaper, but I thought our chances of clear water were good based upon the day's diapers, so we went skinny dipping.  They were really skinny slipping... all over the pool.  Those swim diapers are good for something other than keeping the water relatively clear.  This slippery situation made me nervous, so I just jumped in with them, fully clothed.  You would think that I had greased all three in Vaseline before putting them in the pool.  West was in a constant state of trying to go overboard on to the patio to catch the dogs and Jack and Lilibeth were like fish.  OK, I'm not handling this as well as I'd hoped.  After about four underwater, wide-eyed baby rescues, one where I have all three in my arms at once, I decide that we must get out.  The towel by the pool came in handy again as I deposited three wet babies out of the pool.  We made our way, one by one to the kitchen floor where I called Klint and said in my most calm crazy lady voice "When will you be home?"  I was hoping not to have to attempt bath time, another water situation, without some assistance. 

When he arrived home within a few minutes, he found us like this.  Lilibeth peed her towel in the kitchen, so we moved to the nursery on the concrete floor which Jack immediately peed and then continued his swimming adventure in his own pee until I noticed.  

With Daddy on the scene, we were able to recover, bathe, put on our pj's and take a quick train ride around the house to make us all feel better before we went to bed.  I say we and I mean we.  At 6:15 p.m. on Friday night and we were all in our pj's for the duration.  It was a long day, folks.

Nine month milestones....
West is on the move!  One day early last week he crawled (forward this time!), then became so interested in his new sitting up skills that he didn't do it again until Friday.  He crawls forward to chase the dogs, who run from him.  He is pulling up, so his bed was the first to be dropped.  He has lots more to say now that he has mastered some moving skills.  We love the way he talks to the newest person in the room.  He says, "Hey there!  Look at today me!"  Update.... as of today (his nine month birthday) he is EVERYWHERE!  He has a new passion: flip-flops!  He crawls over to the nearest flip-flop and tries to eat it before I can stop him.  He has even tried to eat a flop while on my foot!  It appears that we are building our immune systems this summer.

Sweet baby boy

Lilibeth has five teeth (three on top and two on bottom)!  She is the front runner in the tooth department.  I told Klint recently that I think the tooth fairy should drop off money for cutting a tooth.  It's much harder than losing one.  Lilibeth appears to be slightly interested in moving.  She is so strong, but seems to know that we will happily carry her any place she chooses.  She loves digging in the toy box to find the perfect thing.  When she does, she then spends her time trying to keep it from her brothers who are toy snatchers!  When she gets fussy, which is unusual, we run to her closet to show her dresses and bows.  This always does the trick.  Here she is in her "helmet" or fascinator to amuse the boys.  They loved it!  Fancy loves making Lilibeth happy with an accessory.

We are all fascinated and delighted by Lilibeth's helmet, especially Lilibeth!

Jack is so funny!  He talks all the time!  I cannot wait to find out what he is saying to me!  He is not crawling forward (still backward), but he is working on other strength training moves.  He does a complete push up regularly and holds in this position.  He moves anywhere his heart desires by rolling.  It is a pretty funny sight.  He just rolls and smiles.  He loves to roll to the toy box, sit up and start digging.  Today we took a walk and Jack talked to Klint and me the ENTIRE time.  The boy has lots to discuss.
Here Jack is grinning because Duke came by with his helmet.  Duke's is a little snazzier than they boys and he is wearing it in solidarity with Jack and West until they are helmet-free!





Speaking of helmets... we had our five week evaluation and the boys are doing great!  Their heads are growing... and growing rounder!  Jack started out at a 10 and West an 11 (according to the orthotist this was severe), by two weeks, they had both moved into the "moderate" range and as of our last eval, both boys are at a 5, only one (point?) away from the "normal" range.  We hope to be helmet-free by September since the helmets are only built for three months worth of growth.



I think this has started since our 8 month post... One night one of the boys was wiggling all over the place while Klint tried to feed him.  When we put him on the floor, he settled in and held his bottle on his own... here come the Boppies for all.  I don't remember if it was Jack or West... that's why I must write this stuff down!  Now, sadly, they would prefer to feed themselves.  I knew this day would come too soon for me.

We love this funny guy (and his mom!)

Blueberry makes us smile!

Friends
We spent the July 4th weekend with family in Walhalla.  It was our first road trip!  Eight cousins means lots of fun and three babies means lots to pack.  With help from two other vehicles, we got it all there.

Alicia and Klint playing with the babies in Walhalla
If you looked at our car, you would think we packed the whole house.  We left the swings.  The babies take a cat nap between 11-12 for about 20 minutes in the swings.  I think they are too big for them, but when we try to give up that tiny nap, we unravel.  I asked Klint what we are going to do when the babies get so big the swings won't go anymore.  His plan?  Put a boat motor on those swings and keep on rolling!  I think he's a little bit serious.  Lilibeth had to take her cat nap on daddy without the swing in Walhalla!

See my two teeth?

Just a little wrasslin' match

Happy 4th!

Love this pic!  Lilibeth is trying to get Daddy's attention to let him know that Jack just stole her bow.  Look at his face... he knows he's been caught!

Swimming with the cousins

Cleaning up

Just my size!

Hahaha!  I know what's in triple used bath water!
Lilibeth looking in one of her bow baskets

Can you see who is not a big fan of "grow greens"?  (Spinach, green bean and green pea mix)

Ben and West being silly

Getting ready for our first trip to a real-deal pool

There is another adult present.... Helicopter parent or not, I'm sticking to my words this time, I will not have three in the water by myself again!

post signature

1 comment:

TexasGal said...

I LOVE seeing your blog Laura. Three adorable babies and a very happy mama! (and daddy and grandparents, etc.) So many wonderful gifts!